JWL.Freakwitch.net

December 12, 2007

new gigs

I just realized I haven't posted about this. I have 2 new gigs going on. I'll still be doing weekends at my old gig, so that's remains unchanged. I still have no free weekends except on rare special occasions. :-(

The first is that I am in the process of opening up Crafted Recordings: Quality on-location audio recording in Northern New England. I'm surprised I haven't blogged about this yet, but I've had a separate website going for a while. Hop on over and check it out when you can. My recording rig isn't quite finished, and I've hit some (not insurmountable) snags on the portability end of it. I'll need to get a truck and/or a trailer to haul it around, and I still need to finish building the rack lids so I can safely move them. I have the materials I need, I'm just waiting for the stars to line up with time and good weather so I can do the carpentry. This is very exciting, as it gives me a chance to earn a living doing what I love.

The second is that I’ve entered into a part-time consulting relationship with Realtraps. Realtraps, "the experts in acoustic treatment," is an acoustics company run by Ethan Winer (and his partner Doug Ferrara, as well has a half-dozen-ish employees). Ethan wrote the single best introduction to listening room acoustics that I know of; this article was my point of departure in developing an understanding of how to make rooms sound good. In addition to this (and other) articles, Ethan is more than generous with his expertise on various forums online that I hang out on. We started communicating a while ago via these forums, and we became friends.

So these are exciting developments for me, as both of these mean I will be starting to earn (at least part of) a living through music.

1 comment(s):

Woo hoo! Congrats on all the steps forward! I like your new website, too.

By Blogger Nikki Starcat Shields, at December 14, 2007 10:22 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home