JWL.Freakwitch.net

September 18, 2005

do you believe in magic...

Good question. For me, I'm not sure "belief" is quite the right word. "The most reasonable and elegant explanation for the phenomena at play in existence" is probably closer.

Just sayin'.

3 comment(s):

I don't get it. Believe is defined as (from Dictionary.com):

1. The mental act, condition, or habit of placing trust or confidence in another: My belief in you is as strong as ever.

2. Mental acceptance of and conviction in the truth, actuality, or validity of something: His explanation of what happened defies belief.

3. Something believed or accepted as true, especially a particular tenet or a body of tenets accepted by a group of persons.

Why are you not sure if you believe in it or not? There is a certain amount of trust involved in that reasonable and elegant explanation, is there not?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 19, 2005 6:32 AM  

I think it's the "acceptance" and "conviction" I have trouble with. Robert Anton Wilson said that conviction is the death of intelligence. Once I have conviction about a theory, then I cease developing the theory.

Not sure. Another way to explain it is the Socratic notion of always questioning. If you believe something, if you have conviction about it, if you accept it, you aren't as likely to question it.

And, "questioning is the piety of thought." --Heidegger

By Blogger JWL, at September 19, 2005 3:13 PM  

I totally agree with you! I have seen more cases than not that magick is at work. (I also made the assumption that you were talking about MAGICK as opposed to MAGIC.) The more I see it, the more I accept it and the firmer my conviction.

But, yes, conviction is a strong word. But it works well for me here. : )

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 20, 2005 7:26 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home