JWL.Freakwitch.net

November 14, 2005

The Fourth World War

I've spent part of today watching The Fourth World War with my daughter. This is a very important film, much closer to global reality than something like Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11 because it doesn't get hung up on American oversimplifications (ie, "It's all Bush's fault") and paints a true picture of what's really happening on the global scene.

My daughter and I were continually struck by the contrast one would see over and over throughout the world: whenever there was a conflict between The People and The Government, The Government enforcers (ie, the police and the soldiers) were there with armor, with guns, with helmets, with shields, with tear gas, with clubs, and with stern, unsmiling faces; while The People were there with signs, with dancing, with costumes, with drums, with guitars, with singing, and with smiles on their faces.

My wife and I have had a disagreement on many occasions about my feelings regarding the police. I don't like them, and I don't trust them, and I've said so many times to my daughter and my wife. But today, after seeing this film, I was able to explain that it's not the People who are police officers that I have trouble with, rather it's the position of police officer that I have trouble with. The problem is structural, not personal. And while in America things are generally docile enough among the sheeple that one can usually trust a police officer, this trust must necessarily go out the window once one expresses dissent toward the government.

It was nice to be able to explain that to my daughter. In a peaceful situation, if she is in trouble, she definitely should go to a police officer if she has no one else to turn to. However, as soon as she places herself in opposition to the government (ie, at a peace rally or demonstration), she in general should not expect a police officer to be helpful.

But yes, this film triggered much fruitful thought. I highly recommend that people see the film, or better yet, support the filmmakers and order a copy.

2 comment(s):

When one looks at the "people vs police" dynamic, there isn't an inherant problem with either idea, there are structural problems with both policing organizations, and dare I say, a lot of organized protests.

Alot of protestors can't tell you about half of what they are protesting - as they are sheeple themselves, and are merely there due to being summoned by protest organizers.

Then again...I tend to equate rallies, marches, and demonstrations of any type with fenced in animals being herded up this street, and down the next...chanting little rhymes, painting their faces with the colors they are told, waving the flag they are told to wave, supporting parties they are told to support.

Can't make a strong arguement? Organize 5,000 more poor thinkers and chant some pre-made lines!!! Ba-a-a-a-a-a!!!!

Makes me sick!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 17, 2005 4:00 AM  

I think you are correct in regard to a lot of US protests/rallies. I agree that many of them seem to have a "going through the motions" vibe to them. But what struck me about the film is just how committed people worldwide are to their political statements.

In the film, it shows the Zapatistas marching en masse, unarmed, to a military base occupied by the Mexican army. They walk up to the soldiers, who are all of course heavily armed, with determination in their eyes, and eventually the army abandoned the base because of the unity of the people.

It is this sort of dedication that is missing in the US. As I've said, Americans are in general far too comfortable to take this stuff seriously (generally I include myself in this group), and from that perspective it does seem like US peace rallies are full of sheep. There just isn't enough at stake in the everyday life of most Americans.

By Blogger JWL, at November 17, 2005 11:46 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home